Saturday, September 17, 2011

Made up my mind!

 

I am going to throw all my self-doubt away, and do one of the last Bike Tours of NYC! The Tour de Bronx will be held on October 23rd(only a few days away from my one year wedding anniversary), there’s the option of 25 or 40 mile ride. I am going to start with the 25-er..baby steps!

One of the awesome things about this Tour is that it’s in my ‘hood. The 3 years I’ve lived here, I haven’t seen enough of the boogie down. This is the perfect opportunity to see my boro while burning some major calories! There is much prep to be done within the next month. I was planning on restarting my old regime anyway since Fall is here to stay! O yeah, I LOVE FALL! I am SOOO excited for fall riding! I love all the accessory options I have in the colder months, and now being on a bike all the time, I am on the hunt for cold riding must-have’s!

The Tour website have some great tips for the ride:

Tips for a Fun and Safe Tour

  • Follow the directions of the marshals.
  • Wear a helmet.
  • Ride three feet from the curb and parked cars (especially important on commercial streets). Remember, the law states that you have the right to a full traffic lane.
  • Always yield to pedestrians on shared paths and walkers in the crosswalk.
  • Slow down in crowded areas.
  • Signal all turns and stops with an outstretched arm to the left or right.
  • Be verbal. Say "on your right" or "on your left" before passing.
  • Ride predictably. Don't stop suddenly!
  • Pavement conditions vary. Watch for potholes, broken pavement, glass and sunken manhole covers. Pointing out pavement problems to fellow riders is always appreciated.
  • Stay in control of your bike, especially on big downhills.
  • Remember, this tour is not a race.
  • Obey traffic lights and stops signs, and always ride with traffic. Under NY State law, bicycles are considered vehicles and are subject to the same rules (and penalties) as cars.
  • On one way streets without a bike lane, ride on the left to avoid buses. On two way streets, stay to the right.
  • Be especially alert when approaching intersections from bike paths.
  • Respect your environment and your neighbors-dispose of your trash properly or take it with you.
  • Be a cycling ambassador -- courtesy really works!
  • The event organizers reserve the right the right to ask anyone being reckless or unsafe to surrender his or her rider ID and leave the ride.

 

I am so excited to do this..this will only further my confidence as a Lady Biker on the mean streets of NYC..look out for more posts on my preparation this next month!

K.

1 comment:

  1. I may sign up for this one as well. I'll let you know, otherwise I'd like to volunteer. Go for it Kat!

    ReplyDelete